Before washing please note:
- Heavily soiled garments or greasy collars, cuffs etc. should be pre-soaked in luke-warm water and the problem areas pre-treated with the Wash Concentrate and a soft brush.
- With leather garments of more than one color, or those made from a mixture of leather and textile, or with a light colored lining, some color-bleeding can occur. In such cases always soak in COLOURLOCK Leather Fixative before washing.
- Never wash two different garments together.
- Always wash the two or three parts of a dress or trouser suit, together.
- Fading and scuff marks may be hidden by the soiling and can become visible after cleaning.
- On some leather types the dyes have not been fixed to the fibre. Others are coated with oils or waxes. Such garments will be clean after washing but will have a changed surface or appearance.
- Loose buttons or too loosely sewn decorative applications must be removed or secured before washing.
- Sheepskins with a white underside: Always cut off a small piece and use it for a test. If it becomes hard, it means the garment has been subject to a kind of tanning that is washed out in water. In which case, do not wash.
Leather Fixative Pre-treatment
COLOURLOCK Leather Fixative is used to fix colors on leather garments during washing. It can also be used for the removal of water stains on natural and aniline leather.
For leather-textile mixtures, multi-colored garments, single-colored garments in black, red, blue, bordeaux and green: Always pre-soak in a bath with Leather Fixative!
Effect: Fixes tanning agents, colors and lipids inside the leather. Prevents the colors from washing out. Use preferably prior to washing.
- Use in the bath, not in the washing machine.
- Add half a bottle to approx. 10 litres hand hot water, max. 30 °C until covered.
- Motorcycle suits: use a full bottle
- Soak the garment thoroughly for approx. 60 minutes, moving occasionally.
- Put it into the washing machine,without rinsing.
Careful: The product contains natural volatile acids. Avoid skin contact, use rubber gloves. Wash off skin or eyes with generous amounts of water. Keep away from children.
Leather & Fur Washing Concentrate, Hand Wash Instructions
Suitable for hand-washing all suede and napa leathers, including jackets, coats, shirts, trousers, motorcycle suits and gloves. Depending on the garment size use ⅓ – ½ bottle + approx. 12 litres of warm water. Cover the garment. Keep the temperature below 35°C (95°F). For a complete motorcycle suit or large coat, use 1 bottle and enough water to cover. Soak for about 30 minutes and wash by hand. Treat heavy soiling with a soft brush. When clean, remove and rinse once in clean warm water. Surface Cleaning: using a thin concentrate 1:50, wipe the surface or use a brush.
Leather & Fur Washing Concentrate, Machine Wash
Only use the delicates or wool program and do not exceed 35°C (95°F). Suitable for all suede and grain leather, such as jackets, coats, shirts, trousers, folklore costumes, motorcycle clothing and gloves. Also ideal for leather/textile-combinations.
Depending on garment size add ⅓ – ½ bottle to the machine.
- Motorcycle suits or large coats will need one whole bottle. Heavy soiling: soak for 1 hour and pre-treat with a soft brush dipped in concentrate.
- Wash with the delicates or wool program at no more than 35°C (95°F). At the end of the wash-cycle, only spin for about 30 seconds.
- Remove the wet garment, shake and stretch out the folds. Hang or lay the wet garment on a towel at room temperature away from sun or heat. This can sometimes take several days, depending on the leather…but it’s worth it.
- Important: Never dry in a drier or with heat!
- After drying, the leather fibres will be stuck together. Pull and stretch the garment into shape in all directions and, if needed, cold tumble dry (inside out), for about 15 - 30 minutes. Do not use heat. Nubuck and suede should be brushed with a soft brush.
The care of leather garments
Coated Top-Grain Leather
Many top-grain leathers (such as motorcycle leather) have pigmented protective coatings to make them waterproof and more resistant to fading and staining. These leathers are easy to recognize, as rubbed-on moisture will not sink in and darken the leather. Care instructions: Scuffs and wear can be easily repaired with COLOURLOCK Leather Fresh in the correct tone. Top-Grain leather clothing should be protected and nourished by wiping with COLOURLOCK Leather Care & Waterproofing Oil at least twice a year. This prevents cracking, shrinkage and stains.
Open Pored Top Grain Leather (napa, aniline)
These are leathers which are dyed throughout but, in order to maintain their look and feel, their surfaces have not been coated. A little pressure or rubbing with moisture will darken these. Care instructions: Regular treatment with COLOURLOCK Aniline Cream (every 2-3 months) will prevent water or fat stains. Older aniline leathers can be revitalized by regular treatment with our COLOURLOCK Aniline Protector. This adds softening oils, anti-oxidants, UV-filters and intensifies the dyes. For heavy fading consult a leather professional.
Suedes and Nubucks
These are leathers with a velour (slightly furry) surface. Typical are pig, goat, cow-hide, nubuck or suede, deerskin, elk and lamb. Care instructions: treat at least 1-2 times per year with our COLOURLOCK Aniline Protector, an aerosol designed to protect against fading and dryness. It is also ideal for re-conditioning suedes and nubucks after washing. It restores the freshness of the color. Heavy fading of all kinds of leather can only be restored by a professional. Do not forget to waterproof the open surface of such leathers with COLOURLOCK Leather Waterproofing Pump Spray. To remove light soiling brush with our soft Leather Brush or use the Nubuck Eraser.
|Application:||Cleaners & Degreasers|
|Application Area:||Bags & Cases, Leather Cloth|
|Leather Type:||Aniline leather, Pigmented leather, Refined aniline leather, Semi-aniline leather, Suede & Nubuck|
8 of 8 reviews
October 30, 2021 00:00
Alle Ränder und Flecken wurden aus meiner Lederjacke entfernt nach nur einer Anwendung (Handwäsche).Aus meiner Sicht ein super Produkt.Danke
October 4, 2017 00:00
Great product! Worked a treat for my large sheepskin rug. I've had disasters in the past washing these rugs where either the leather goes rock hard or it just doesn't clean the rug sufficiently. Not so with this product! Easy to follow instructions made it a doddle and I'm left with a fully revitalised, super soft and clean rug. Well worth the money!
June 2, 2017 00:00
It worked to my 30+ yr old leather jacket very well
My 30- yr+ old leather jacked revived dramatically. It was so easy. For me this product proved to be a much better option than a high street leather cleaner.
November 22, 2020 00:00
Super helpful customer service and product(s) perform as expected!
I contacted Colourlock for advice on caring for a stained, worn, susceptible, open-pores aniline lambskin leather. The agent was extremely helpful with the info and guidance provided. It's important to note that given the not-so-good condition the jacket was in, she had mentioned that it's not likely I'd be able to get rid of the stains with the DIY products and that to restore it fully, it'll need to be dyed. Nevertheless, I chose to try and see what I can accomplish at home with these products. I had carefully followed the instructions, as this sensitive aniline leather leaves no room for mistakes. The jacket's condition is improved and also is better protected. I recommend this product and Colourlock company.
January 27, 2017 00:00
Swede trousers good as new no colour loss!
Bought this to try instead of professional dry cleaners. So glad I did. Really really expensive pair of designer dark green swede nap trousers. Dry cleaner wanted £50 PLUS for me to sign a disclaimer in case process damaged them! Eh no. So I done my research, found this and decided to be brave and try myself. Cool hand wash in the sink. First the colour lock- rinse - then the gentle wash. - rinse. Laid out flat to dry on towels (no radiators!), then with a new nap brush gently brought the nap back to life with a brushing! Only used a third of each bottle. So I have enough for three washes! £7.50ish versus £50 (no insurance) per wash, no brainer for me. New year drink spill stains out of swede trousers, no colour loss, good as new. Who said you can't wash swede - you can. Just keep the water cool.
May 5, 2020 00:00
I was ready to throw out a $500 leather STS leather jacket that was born with mold and mildew. I tried everything to clean it and get rid of the awful sweet smell. No local leather cleaning facilities. Came across this product and tried it. It works! Wear a mask when using it if possible in a well ventilated area or outdoors. I’m really impressed.
September 30, 2016 00:00
smells and feels better than ever
When my dad's old fur-lined leather jacket got moldy from storage, I nearly despaired. I don't have a lot of money for expensive restoration processes. So I held my breath and used this system. My jacket looks, smells and feels better than ever. I was shocked.
August 13, 2019 00:00
If the marks are deep you have to clean them a couple of times
My boots are natural leather and the scuffs were hard to get out, but this product pretty much cleaned them up.
Recommended products for Leather Washing Set