Before washing please note:
- Heavily soiled garments or greasy collars, cuffs etc. should be pre-soaked in luke-warm water and the problem areas pre-treated with the Wash Concentrate and a soft brush.
- With leather garments of more than one color, or those made from a mixture of leather and textile, or with a light colored lining, some color-bleeding can occur. In such cases always soak in LEDER FEIN® Leather Fixative before washing.
- Never wash two different garments together.
- Always wash the two or three parts of a dress or trouser suit, together.
- Fading and scuff marks may be hidden by the soiling and can become visible after cleaning.
- On some leather types the dyes have not been fixed to the fibre. Others are coated with oils or waxes. Such garments will be clean after washing but will have a changed surface or appearance.
- Loose buttons or too loosely sewn decorative applications must be removed or secured before washing.
- Sheepskins with a white underside: Always cut off a small piece and use it for a test. If it becomes hard, it means the garment has been subject to a kind of tanning that is washed out in water. In which case, do not wash.
Leather Fixative Pre-treatment
LEDER FEIN® Leather Fixative is used to fix colors on leather garments during washing. It can also be used for the removal of water stains on natural and aniline leather.
For leather-textile mixtures, multi-colored garments, single-colored garments in black, red, blue, bordeaux and green: Always pre-soak in a basin with Leather Fixative!
Effect: Fixes tanning agents, colors, and lipids inside the leather. Prevents the colors from washing out. Use preferably prior to washing.
- Soak in a basin or bathtub, not in the washing machine.
- Add half a bottle to approx. 10 litres hand hot water, max. 30 °C until covered.
- Motorcycle suits: use a full bottle.
- Soak the garment thoroughly for approx. 60 minutes, moving occasionally.
- Put it into the washing machine, without rinsing.
Careful: The product contains natural volatile acids. Avoid skin contact, use rubber gloves. Wash off skin or eyes with generous amounts of water. Keep away from children.
Leather & Fur Washing Concentrate Hand Wash Instructions
Suitable for hand-washing all suede and nappa leathers, including jackets, coats, shirts, trousers, motorcycle suits and gloves. Depending on the garment size use ⅓ – ½ bottle + approx. 12 litres of warm water. Cover the garment. Keep the temperature below 35°C (95°F). For a complete motorcycle suit or large coat, use 1 bottle and enough water to cover. Soak for about 30 minutes and wash by hand. Treat heavy soiling with a soft brush. When clean, remove and rinse once in clean warm water. Surface Cleaning: using a thin concentrate 1:50, wipe the surface or use a brush.
Leather & Fur Washing Concentrate Machine Wash
Only use the delicates or wool program and do not exceed 35°C (95°F). Suitable for all suede and grain leather, such as jackets, coats, shirts, trousers, folklore costumes, motorcycle clothing and gloves. Also ideal for leather/textile-combinations.
Depending on garment size add ⅓ – ½ bottle to the machine.
- Motorcycle suits or large coats will need one whole bottle. Heavy soiling: soak for 1 hour and pre-treat with a soft brush dipped in concentrate.
- Wash with the delicates or wool program at no more than 35°C (95°F). At the end of the wash-cycle, only spin for about 30 seconds.
- Remove the wet garment, shake and stretch out the folds. Hang or lay the wet garment on a towel at room temperature away from sun or heat. This can sometimes take several days, depending on the leather…but it’s worth it.
- Important: Never dry in a drier or with heat!
- After drying, the leather fibres will be stuck together. Pull and stretch the garment into shape in all directions and, if needed, cold tumble dry (inside out), for about 15 - 30 minutes. Do not use heat. Nubuck and suede should be brushed with a soft brush.
The Care of Leather Garments
Coated Top-Grain Leather
Many top-grain leathers (such as motorcycle leather) have pigmented protective coatings to make them waterproof and more resistant to fading and staining. These leathers are easy to recognize, as rubbed-on moisture will not sink in and darken the leather. Care instructions: Scuffs and wear can be easily repaired with COLOURLOCK Leather Fresh in the correct tone. Top-Grain leather clothing should be protected and nourished by wiping with LEDER FEIN® Leather Care & Waterproofing Oil at least twice a year. This prevents cracking, shrinkage and stains.
Open Pored Top Grain Leather (napa, aniline)
These are leathers which are dyed throughout but, in order to maintain their look and feel, their surfaces have not been coated. A little pressure or rubbing with moisture will darken these. Care instructions: Regular treatment with COLOURLOCK Aniline Cream (every 2-3 months) will prevent water or fat stains. Older aniline leathers can be revitalized by regular treatment with our COLOURLOCK Aniline Protector. This adds softening oils, anti-oxidants, UV-filters and intensifies the dyes. For heavy fading consult a leather professional.
Suedes and Nubucks
These are leathers with a velour (slightly furry) surface. Typical are pig, goat, cow-hide, nubuck or suede, deerskin, elk and lamb. Care instructions: treat at least 1-2 times per year with our COLOURLOCK Aniline Protector, an aerosol designed to protect against fading and dryness. It is also ideal for re-conditioning suedes and nubucks after washing. It restores the freshness of the color. Heavy fading of all kinds of leather can only be restored by a professional. Do not forget to waterproof the open surface of such leathers with LEDER FEIN® Leather Waterproofing Pump Spray. To remove light soiling, brush with our soft Leather Brush or use the Nubuck Eraser.
|Application:||Cleaners & Degreasers|
|Application Area:||Leather Cloth|
|Leather Type:||Aniline leather, Pigmented leather, Pull Up leather, Semi-aniline leather, Suede & Nubuck|
10 of 20 reviews
August 10, 2020 00:00
excellent product. Cleaned my sheepskin seat pad perfectly
March 8, 2017 00:00
GREAT PRODUCT FOR MY SHEEPSKIN RUG. THANK YOU
February 4, 2016 00:00
I washed my leather trousers in a small amount and they came up beautifully soft and clean. excellent
July 28, 2017 00:00
Gentle cleanser for wool and leather
This detergent worked well on my sheepskin rug. It is very gentle and kept the leather soft and supple.
February 11, 2020 00:00
My coat and gloves are clean.
You have to follow the directions. Then I let the coat drip dry with a couple plastic hangers turned this way and that to allow air inside the coat. The leather did NOT go stiff. I roughed it up a couple times during the drying. The faux fur collar and cuffs are clean. AND--my really dirty gloves are clean
March 29, 2018 00:00
Downside might be price but better to get something that doesn't ruin your sheepskin
Worked well on a real sheepskin fur with leather. Downside might be price but better to get something that doesn't ruin your sheepskin.
March 8, 2017 00:00
I thought it did a great job! I washed a suede vest. Now it's clean, good as new!
November 8, 2019 00:00
Love this product it does what it says
Fantastic quality product it really does what it says, from leather jackets to sheepskin boots all came out great. Love this product. Thank you
February 22, 2017 00:00
Will buy again.
Very pleased with this product, brought my suede coat up lovely and soft with no shrinkage in a gentle machine wash.
May 28, 2020 00:00
USED IN THE WASHING MACHINE.
FIRST TIME I HAVE WASHED LEATHER IN THE WASHING MACHINE AND IT WAS A CHALLENGE FOR THE PRODUCT. I HAD A FULL LEATHER SKIN FROM 50 YEARS AGO THAT WAS MOULDY AND CREASED. IT WORKED BRILLIANTLY AND CAME OUT BETTER THAN ORIGINALLY WAS, WHEN BOUGHT. EXCELLENT PRODUCT AND SELLER.