How to remove dye transfer stains on leather
Heavy dye transfer on furniture leather.
Dye from jeans and discolouration from a belt on car seats.
In most cases, the dye transfer can be removed by a simple cleaning process. If you wait too long, the dye penetrates into the leather surface and It’s impossible to remove such stains with conventional water based leather cleaners.
We recommend using COLOURLOCK Strong Leather Cleaner with the COLOURLOCK Leather Cleaning Brush for the first attempt to remove dye transfer stains. If this doesn’t solve the problem, the stains must additionally be cleaned with COLOURLOCK GLD Solvent. The GLD Solvent is a solvent based product and we always recommend using a water based cleaner first.
Lightly damp a white cloth with GLD-Solvent and carefully clean the stained areas. Always test in a hidden area first! GLD-Solvent slightly dissolves the colour coating. When trying to remove the discolouration, also the leather colour can be removed. Be very careful not to remove too much.
If too much colour is removed or visible stains remain, such areas can be recoloured with COLOURLOCK Leather Fresh. In areas where a high opacity is required, apply several layers and dry in between with a hair dryer.
To avoid further dye transfer stains in future, the leather should be regularly protected with COLOURLOCK Leather Shield. COLOURLOCK Leather Shield offers excellent protection against dye transfer. Only apply Leather Shield on clean leather.
With luck, COLOURLOCK Mild or Strong Leather Cleaner...
... removes the stains.
In case of penetrated dye, COLOURLOCK GLD Solvent has to be used additionally.
Remaining stains can be adjusted with COLOURLOCK Leather Fresh in correct colour.
Frequently asked questions
- COLOURLOCK Mild Leather Cleaner, if the rest of the leather surfaces are clean.
- COLOURLOCK Strong Leather Cleaner, if the leather is durable and otherwise also very dirty.
- COLOURLOCK Leather Cleaning Brush - Helpful against discoloration and dirt in the grain structure.
- COLOURLOCK GLD Solvent - Solvent based cleaner against stubborn stains. Please follow the instructions!
- COLOURLOCK Leather Shield, for final sealing and to reduce new discolouration.
- COLOURLOCK Leather Fresh according to our colour chart or matched to a sample with surcharge. Minimum amount for special colours is 150 ml.